
It occurred to me last night that this is the first valentine that's gone out. Last week we got everything ready for Jesse's package to go to Iraq. The only thing missing was something homemade. I'd originally wanted the neck coolers to be completed and added to the box but I still haven't found the moisture pellets needed to get them done. I didn' t want him to be without anything so we sent it out anyway, with this valentine that expressed how much we care. It's the first one I've done that opens up like this. The pattern came from martha.com but instead of blowing it up and adding other crap to it. I just kept it small (did this on pink card stock) and put patterned paper on the front, then added gold eyelets so it could be tied closed with ribbons. Then I stamped his name on the front and a valetine's day greeting inside and we all signed the heart flaps inside. Inside the stamped lettering I added gold ink to the letters only to make them stand out more.
Inside his package I sent some locally made chocolates wrapped in zip lock bags over and over again in case they melt. He doesn't care, chocolate tastes the same melted, hopefully not liquified. I took advantage of doing this now because its not over 100 degrees over there yet. He got Skiiing mags, books, word searches,individual lemonades for water bottles,a hacky sack, Jolly Ranchers candy,some gourmet coffee, I can't remember what else. But he got some double roll toilet paper too. It held everything in place in the box so nothing shifted. Next time its going to be a toiletries package instead of munchies. I'm just glad the kid is staying put for now. I really miss him, he called me last week and it was so good to hear his voice. I was telling him that I hardly ever use my cell phone because his cell number (from when he was still here) is no. 5 on my called list. LOL I know he's trying to stay busy and adjust to his new surroundings. I don't want to make too many refferences to how things were before he left so he's not too home sick. From my understanding were just about the only support system he has right now. I know my dad tries but since he can't deal with him being deployed he's off in his own world. So for now, I will pass messages on between the two of them. And we will continue to be here for Jesse.
In about a week my daughter has her dance. On Sunday we found a beautiful floor length strapless gown in this goldish, orange color with some beautiful beading on it. Because of how it was stored some of the beads are loose. I'm going to fix them and get some spot cleaning done on it as well. As much as we wanted to go out and buy something brand new the resources are not quite there yet, due to having to buy the truck and having to make repairs to my vehicle, money's kinda tight. I'd searched online and found the dress, liked it and liked the price. That's why I was so glad that when she saw it she loved it too, and I was even more happy when she tried it on and it fit perfectly. So far for the dress, the beads and the thread to fix it, its only costed 35 bucks even. Not bad for a dress that was over 200 dollars (Niki Livas) when it was purchased last spring. The girl who sold it to us was just glad to have some more closet space. We were happy to get such a good deal! Now all she needs are some gold shoes and a small clutch to go with it and her outfit will be complete.
Well I should get going on that beading, I'm going to have to get it to the cleaners soon. Take care out there!

This brings back so many memories!! Getting packages ready to ship to Iraq. I always forgot something or send something I didn't mean to. Lol. For moisture beads, check at a green house, or in the plant section at Walmart, or even a crafty store like Joann's Fabrics. They are cheapest at Walmart. ;-) I remember making those and sending them over. Lol.
ReplyDeleteWhen my Hubby was over there, he LOVED to hear about home, get pictures and such, he said it made him feel closer to home. I made lots of photo albums and sent them over too. :-) Just stay positive.
The dress sounds really pretty!!!
I just love the Valentine you made too! Very pretty!! :-)
To answer your comment, I am hoping to post an entry every Sunday showing support, posting a pic, telling a story, just something to show support for our Troops. :-) You are more than welcome to join in! :-) I think a lot of the times, we as a society don't take the time to remember the Troops and honor them. It is just a little something to keep it fresh on the minds.
I know several guys in that part of the world.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate all that they do and the sacrifices each and every one of you make.
You have my utmost respect.
Bobby
I'm just catching up on all your posts, and realized I didn't have your link on my page. I fixed that.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I love the doll that you made for your daughter. How did the clothes turn out?
Country-Girl, I think I will take part in support your troops Sunday, thanks. :) I hope more people decide to follow suit and do it too.
ReplyDeleteI'll go around to the garden centers and see what they've got in stock for the pellets. The Wal Mart near me only had grass seed available. Thanks for the tip!
Bobby, thanks man. :)
Kate, thanks, as for the clothes they are cut and waiting to be stitched together. Just when I think I have free time things pop up. I will get to them as soon as I can and post pics when they're finished.